Are you seeing your Xbox One randomly turn on? This problem can have several different causes. While it's often difficult to diagnose exactly what's wrong, we have several items you should check to determine why your Xbox One randomly turns on.
Try each of them in turn and you should be able to prevent it from happening.
Why does my Xbox One turn on by itself?
Please check the following settings and items if your Xbox One turns on by itself:
- Clean the front of your console near the xbox logo Power switch.
- Because the Xbox One doesn't have a physical power button, its capacitive button fires when touched. A little dirt, your pet's tail, or even a static discharge can inadvertently turn on the system.
- If you have a Kinect, saying Hey Cortana, Xbox on or Xbox on will turn on your system with voice commands. It is sensitive, so you can accidentally turn on your system with a similar phrase.
- You can disable it by visiting Settings> Power &startup>
Power &startup mode and disabling Wake up Xbox by saying “Hey Cortana, Xbox on.”
- Some have reported that disabling automatic updates can fix this problem. Go to Settings> System> Updates and uncheck Keep my console up to date . You can uncheck Keep my games and apps up to date also if you like.
- Pressing the Xbox button on a controller will turn on the system. So your Xbox controller might be faulty Xbox One controller not working? 4 tips on how to fix it! Xbox One controller not working? 4 tips on how to fix it! Is your Xbox One controller not working? This troubleshooting guide will help you when your Xbox controller won't connect, disconnect, won't turn on and more....
- Try removing the batteries from your controller and see if your Xbox One turns on just to test this.
- Disable Instant On Mode, which allows your Xbox to start up faster from a sleep state. To do this, visit. Settings> Power and startup>
Power mode and startup and select Power Mode .
- Change this from Instant On to Energy saving , which completely shuts down the console each time. You must press the Xbox Button on a controller or on the system to start it.
- With some TVs, turning on your TV can also turn on your Xbox.
- This is due to an option called HDMI-CEC or similar. Turning this off on your TV should prevent your Xbox from turning on with your TV.
- Try plugging your Xbox into a different outlet or directly into the wall if you have it plugged into a power strip.
- Turn off your Xbox completely by holding the Xbox Power button on the front of the system for about 10 seconds. Then unplug the Xbox's power supply for a short while before plugging it back in and turning it back on.
- Make sure you've applied all Xbox One system updates as they may resolve issues.
Your Xbox One probably isn't charmed
Chances are one of these is causing your Xbox One to turn on by itself. At least you can be sure he's not enchanted. Probably. If you still have the same issue after trying all of these fixes, you should contact Xbox Support.
Check out our article for the most useful Xbox One settings. Here are ten you can use to tweak the Xbox to your liking. Read More